Generous donations from two Peterborough Rotary clubs will go to support the city’s Cathedral.
Werrington Rotary has given £400 towards the preservation of the Cathedral’s ancient Precinct walls. This donation will be doubled to £800 thanks to a Heritage Lottery Fund Catalyst Award secured by the Cathedral. The Award means that any donations for the maintenance of the Precinct walls received by June 2017 will be matched, £ for £, up to a total of £500,000. The resulting £1 million will be invested to secure an annual income to provide for the maintenance of these historic structures for many years to come.
The donation of £500 from Peterborough Minster Rotary Club will be used to buy two of the sixty-six chairs needed for the newly refurbished Knights’ Chamber, which is due to open in September 2016. The Knights’ Chamber was originally constructed in around 1220 for the use of the sixty knights of Peterborough Abbey. It has recently been conserved and restored thanks to a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and it will be available for hire as a venue for meetings and events.
“We are enormously grateful to the members of Werrington and Peterborough Minster Rotary Clubs who have made these donations,” said Charles Taylor, Dean of Peterborough. “Their commitment to helping us to preserve and use this beautiful place for the benefit of the citizens of Peterborough is very much appreciated.”
For more information about doubling your donation to the Cathedral’s Heritage Lottery Catalyst fund, or about the Knights’ Chamber, please call 01733 355301 or visit www.peterborough-cathedral.org.uk.
Christopher Marrannino, President of Peterborough Minster Rotary Club, is pictured with James Dyer and Rachael Clarke of Peterborough Cathedral. Photo: David Lowndes
Ann Huckle, President of Werrington Rotary Club, and her husband Peter, present the Club’s donation to Canon Jonathan Baker and Stuart Orme at Peterborough Cathedral.