Mon-Fri:

9.00am - 5.00pm

Sat:

9.00am - 5.00pm

Sun:

12.00pm - 3.00pm

Venue Details

Details about the Cathedral's range of venues.

Maximum Capacity depending on Function

Meeting Delegates Dinner Guests Reception Guests Room
60 50 75 The Knights' Chamber
8 n/a n/a The Palace View Room
10 n/a n/a The Old Bookshop
36 20 75 The John Chambers Room
15 12 The William Morton Room
n/a 120 200 The Cathedral's New Building
n/a 300-350 n/a The Cathedral Nave

The Knights' Chamber

Constructed in around 1220, the Knights’ Chamber is Grade I listed building and a Scheduled Ancient Monument. Recently it has been fully refurbished with the help of a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

The Knights' Chamber

The Knights' Chamber is suitable for meetings, lectures, dinners and receptions for up to 75 people.

The Palace View Room

The Palace View Room is a secluded and tranquil meeting space within the Cathedral Visitor Centre, suitable for boardroom-style meetings of up to 8, and theatre-style meetings of up to 12.

 

 

Meeting space in the Old BookshopThe Old Bookshop

The Old Bookshop is situated downstairs, next door to the Becket Chapel. A stair lift is available externally.

Formal meeting area: 4.50m x 3.50m/14' 9" x 11'6". Lounge area: 4.70m x 3.60m/15'5" x 11'10", for the service of refreshments or for a more informal meeting area.

Almoner's Hall

Almoner's Hall

Almoner’s Hall is an attractive venue set in the quiet southern part of the Cathedral Precincts. The Hall has timber-beamed ceilings and stone floors, but benefits from a modern, comfortable and appealing interior that remains sympathetic to the medieval style of the building. There are two reception or break out rooms situated between the two larger rooms, which are at either end of the building.

A Grade I listed building, Almoner's Hall was where the monk who was the abbey's Almoner administered his portion of the monastery's lands raising income to support the poor through alms including the distribution of food to those in need.

John Chambers Room

Dining in Almoner's Hall

Wi-fi available. Area: 8m x 4.5m/26’ x 15’

John Chambers was a monk, born locally, who became the last abbot of Peterborough in 1528. When he realised that efforts to prevent Henry VIII from closing the monastery would be in vain, he used political connections to ensure the church was retained and managed to secure his own appointment as first Bishop of Peterborough, when the new diocese was created in 1541.

Reception/Break-out Room

There is a break-out room or reception space immediately outside the main John Chambers room.

William Morton Room

Area: 5.7m x 4.4m/19’ x 14’

William Morton was the Almoner of Peterborough Abbey in the mid-fifteenth century. His transaction records survive, including items for a very fishy feast day dinner:

A dozen of beer, white bread, fresh fish, 15 roach, eels and stock fish for a broth, a salmon trout, two crabs, 40 whelks and saffron and pepper to taste.

Reception/Break-out Room

The William Morton Room is also served by a reception room.

The New Building

Dining in the New Building

The New Building is a wonderful setting for all sorts of events, from candlelit dinners or receptions through to small recitals or well-lit airy exhibition space.

This extension at the east end of the Cathedral dates from the beginning of the sixteenth century. It is famous for its beautiful fan-vaulted ceiling, created by the architect John Wastell, whose genius also contrived the ceiling of King's College Chapel, Cambridge.

The Nave

A concert in the Cathedral Nave

An extraordinary venue for large events such as concerts through to prestigious dinners, the Nave provides a thoroughly memorable location, with audiences or diners seated under the famous thirteenth century painted wooden ceiling, unique in England. Much of the Nave was built in the late twelfth century and is one of the purest surviving examples of Norman or Romanesque church architecture in England.


Further Information and Booking a Venue

To discuss your requirements and how we can help to meet them, along with bookings, please call:

01733 355300

or email:
bookings@peterborough-cathedral.org.uk